The original Land Rover concept was conceived by The Rover Company of Great Britain, shortly after the second World War as a 'stop-gap' production vehicle for use by farmers and others requiring a light utility 4x4 vehicle. They entered production in 1948.
The first two vehicles to come to the Falklands arrived in the same year, one of these being supplied to Chartres Farm on West Falkland. These were small and relatively light vehicles, of robust construction and general reliability. Their numbers in the Islands grew fast over the ensuing years.
The early vehicles were 80-inch wheelbase, canvas top models, with petrol engines and most featured the optional power-take-off equipment that was available from the outset.
Meccano-like construction allowed great interchangeability of parts, as well as substitution when field-repairs required it. Later on, longer 107-inch models and diesel engines made appearances and by late 1958 the first Series 2 vehicles also became available in the Islands.
These various models of 88” and 109” became the mainstay vehicles throughout the Falklands; in use on almost every farm, in private ownership and also by many Government departments. Some later Series 2A's that came down were of specialist type, with non-standard modifications for their work, including two fire-tenders two Forward Controls, two large-wheeled Station Wagons and a Roadless Traction Forest Rover; (one of only nine ever built).
Series 3 vehicles arrived in the 1970's, with improved seating and better heaters; some of the early ones of these were the fleet that came for use on the construction of Cape Pembroke airfield.
By the end of 1982, the presence of British Forces saw even greater numbers of Series 3's in the Islands, before the newly developed coil-sprung One-Ten and Ninety models began to appear in 1984.
Further specialist vehicles arrived for use, including more fire tenders, ambulances, cherry pickers, a couple of 6x6 airfield appliances and even a hearse!
As production reached its end, several Heritage models and finally some UN-spec versions arrived, with imports now only made up of pre-owned purchases.
32p Series 1 88 Inch
The 88” Series 1 Land Rover was produced from 1957-58, still fitted with the 1.6l. Engine, although a 2-litre diesel was also available. Body components remained mostly the same, as the extra 2” was built in forward of the footwells, thereby allowing all of the optional equipment to be utilized as well.
78p Series 1 Hard Top
Probably one of the most numerous of Series 1's to come to the Islands, the 86” was many people's first Land Rover. Produced from 1954-57, these stalwart vehicles came to the Islands in both new and second-hand models, many with soft tops but also a lot with the highly desirable hard-top and 3 doors. Many vehicles of this era survived right up to 1982, before being superseded by much younger Land Rovers brought in as the Islands re-built and developed.
£1.26 Series IIA Roadless Traction Forest Rover
The Roadless 109” Forest Rover was developed in 1961-62 by Roadless Traction for the Forestry Commission for traversing fallen trees and drainage ditches.
A standard 109” cab/chassis with conventional 2.25l. engine and gearbox was fitted with Kirkstall planetary reduction hub axles and 28” tractor wheels.
To enable turning, the front axle was made wider than the rear and a special cargo body was also fitted. Only nine units were ever constructed, including the prototype, two of which were exported.
The Falklands. Roadless 109” was imported in 1962 by Robin Pitaluga for doing the overland journey from Gibraltar Station to Stanley and was extremely capable, particularly in crossing the newly-created Buffalo drainage ditches. This vehicle still exists and is preserved in a family collection.
£1.96 Series IIB Forward Control
The Forward Control 2A/2B was designed in 1963 as a larger load-carrier using 75% standard L/R parts. Only four ever came to the Falklands. This particular vehicle did sterling service for the Ship Hotel, British Antarctic Survey and John Rowlands Construction, before being damaged in 1982. It was rebuilt in 1988 and continued to be used on a sheep station, where it is currently preserved.
The FDC shows the first Rincon Grande farm Land Rover (1950 80") being taken across to Gibraltar Station, for an overhaul in the new workshop garage, in a horse scow behind the motor boat around 1956.
Illustrator: Robin Carter
Printer: Cartor Security Printing
Perforation: 13 x 13 ¼ per 2cms
Stamp size: 30.6 x 38mm
Sheet Layout: 10
Release date: 20 December, 2019
Production Co-ordination: Creative Direction (Worldwide) Ltd
Stamp Item Numbers:
ST012151 Land Rovers Mint Set
ST012152 Land Rovers CTO Set
ST012153 Land Rovers FDC
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.